Monday, April 20, 2009

Housesitting, Strikes, Concert in the Cusco Cathedral

I can not believe how fast this past week has flown by!!  Jess, another intern who is here and I have been housesitting/babysitting for the Allen family this past week and until Wednesday who went to Africa to learn from the medical team there about tuberculosis.  It has been a lot of fun!  It's really been great getting to spend more time with Jess and getting to know her.  The kids have also been a lot of fun and sure have kept us busy!  They have 2 of their own girls, Sarah who is 7 and Noelle who is 8 then they have an adopted Peruvian girl, Cate who is 2.  She is precious!  Then there are also 2 older Peruvians who they have adopted as well.  Jess has been the main one who stays here at all times with the girls while I have been continuing my cello teaching and other activities then come back afterwards for the evenings.  

Last Monday a week ago from today, was the first day the parents left for Africa.  There was a strike, a "paro" here and there was no transportation in use.  I went down to find a taxi or a combie (which is there little vans that they use as buses) but I went down to find just people walking up and down the streets and some people on bikes.  I walked down to the Allen's house from my apartment, which was almost an hour walk, and along the streets there were huge blogs of cement, huge rocks, trees in the roads, fires from burning tires in the middle of the street.   It was crazy!  I saw a man with a machete also!  Thankfully it only lasted a day.  The main reason was b/c of the polluted water here in Peru..  These happen usually about 4-5 times a year.

Last Friday was the Cusco Symphony concert in the Cusco Cathedral in the Main Plaza de Armas downtown.  This was such a cool experience to be a part of!!  Usually you have to pay to get in to the cathedral, but this night it was open to the public.  It is the oldest cathedral in Peru.  A lot of my friends came and it was so fun to see them there!!  I brought the conductor some music from the states and we ended up playing one of the sons, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring this night.  The Cusco Chorus also sang with a few songs... Gloria from Messiah, Ave Maria...  

I am so excited about Katie and my Dad coming to visit and work on some projects in May!!!  It will be so much fun to show them around here and show them what life is like here.  I can't wait!! :) 

1 comment:

J + A said...

I love hearing about your adventures!!